Passion Explored - Holiday Accommodation in Barcelona

By Lulie Swanepoel

As small as Europe is in comparison to any other continent, the diversity of culture is something that really appeals to any traveller. As somebody who hasn’t travelled much, I was overwhelmed when choosing which European country I was going to visit on my long awaited holiday. But after looking through many brochures the answer came surprisingly easy. That very same day I booked my holiday to Barcelona.

Alluring Passion
The essence of Spain is passion. I could feel it as soon as I set my foot down at the airport. Everything the Spanish do is with passion. The way they walk, their language, their cooking style and even their flaring tempers are displayed with such passion that you can’t help but be inspired. It’s like a wild fire burning out of control.

On the way to my accommodation, my taxi driver enthusiastically gave me a rundown of things that I should do and see as a first time tourist. I felt like a kid in a candy store, not quite sure where to begin but wanting everything at once. And even after my long tiresome flight, the exhilarating feeling that I was in a city with so much to offer made me realise that the next two weeks were going to be beyond memorable.

My Apartment
Instead of booking into a hotel, I opted for my own Barcelonan flat. This wasn’t just going to be a holiday, this was going to be a life experience and I figured the best way to go about it would be to have my own place to call home. I was staying at the Vista Real. It was an apartment rented out specifically as a holiday accommodation for tourists who want to feel like they have their own safe haven. Quite a clever illusion I think. I had my very own place and I was ready to become a Spanish senõrita.

Park Guell
After my breakfast at the café across the road from Vista Real, I set off to the Guell park. Architecture in Barcelona in my opinion is quite haunting. Most of the buildings are designed in the gothic style and the major landmarks were done by Barcelona’s famous architect, Gaudi. The Guell Park is one such a landmark. With enormous stone structures, the entrance to to Guell Park is a brightly coloured tiled dragon. I was awestruck at the beauty and detail with which every inch was designed. It seemed like the magical world of a hypnotic fairytale. And it was drawing me into its spellbinding world.

Just a normal day
I spent the whole day at Geull Park before I eventually left to go back to my apartment. This was a typical day for me in Barcelona. Joining the locals for some breakfast and walking through the city of Barcelona. I left everything to the heat of the moment, and like a true Spanish senõrita passionately continued on my holiday.

Living in my own apartment, even for just two weeks, was one of the best things I could have done. And for me it has made the idea of staying at a hotel almost unbearable. Since then, I have travelled to Amsterdam and Paris, again staying only in holiday apartments. I have become a woman of the world.

-----

Author Bio:
WayToStay Apartment Rentals offers short-stay self catering accommodation in Barcelona, Amsterdam and Paris as the smarter alternative to hotels for leisure and business travellers.